2 teaspoons za’atar
4 Arab-style flatbreads
2 little gem lettuces
1 handful of rocket leaves
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon saffron threads
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a very large bowl and mix well.
- Add the quail and gently toss to coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Place the quail in a small roasting tin, pour over the marinade and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the marinade, until golden brown and cooked through – if you find the quail are browning unevenly, move them around in the tin during cooking.
- Just before they’re ready, sprinkle the za’atar over the quail and return them to the oven until done.
- Cut or tear the flatbread into wedges, then arrange on a large platter. Separate the little gem leaves and scatter on top along with the rocket leaves.
- Place the quail on the bread and lettuce, then drizzle over the remaining marinade from the roasting tin. Great with a green salad and crusty bread.
All recipes on this website have been updated or possibly adapted to regional ingredients and may differ from what was originally published or broadcast.
Recipes are principally excerpted from JAMIE AT HOME by Jamie Oliver. Copyright (c) 2008. Published in the U.S. by Hyperion. All Rights Reserved. www.jamieoliver.com